CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »
made by Leelou

Friday, August 12, 2011

OFI Memorial Wall

It was recently brought to my attention that there is a memorial that was built by servicemen in Iraq to remember their fallen comrades. No one in the U.S. knew about it until now. A soldier took it upon himself to videotape the wall and broadcast it on youtube. That's great, really it is, but the reaction...not so much.

Seems as if some of those who's loved ones died serving want the memorial to be shipped to the United States. Why? Because THEY want it. Never mind that it's there for the soldiers so they can pay their respects to those they served with. I get it, really I do, I just don't see the point in bringing the wall home until all of those fighting overseas come home.

I think it would be poignant if it were returned when everyone else came home too. In a way it'd have been like those who died still served and came home with their fellow comrades. What a way to honor their memory...to allow the wall to stand in Iraq rather than collect dust sitting in a mall. Yeah, a mall. Someone thinks it'd be great to stick the wall in a MALL. To me that's degrading to anyone and everyone who ever fought in a war. "Yeah my name's on a wall in the Great American Mall." That just doesn't sit right with me.


Letters are among the most significant memorial a person can leave behind them.
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe



No comments:

Post a Comment